Double click to insert body text here ...
WATSONIAN SWIMMING CLUB
(As amended at AGM on 1st November 2017)
1. The Club shall be called The Watsonian Swimming Club (“the Club”) enjoining the former Watsonian Swimming and Physical Training Section and the former Women’s Sports Section of the Watsonian Club whose membership and assets are merged.
The Watsonian Club
2. The Club shall be a sports club of the Watsonian Club and be subject to the jurisdiction of the Watsonian Club.
3. The object of the Club shall be to encourage swimming and such branches of sport as the Club may determine.
4. Membership shall be open, on application, to members of the Watsonian Club and the Myreside Club, and their spouses and immediate family members over the age of 18, and parents of current and former pupils, approved by the committee and determined by payment of the current year’s subscription.
5. Membership of the Club indicates acceptance that no loss, damage, or the like rests with the Club, the Watsonian Club or their respective office bearers. It is the responsibility of individual members to make their own personal insurance arrangements.
6. The Officials of the Club shall be a Captain, Vice-Captain, Social Convener, Honorary Secretary and Honorary Treasurer. The last two offices may be combined.
7. The Committee of the Club shall consist of the Officials and a maximum of eight members of the Club of whom preferably two should be female and two male. The Officials and Members of the Committee shall retire annually but shall be eligible for re-election. The Committee shall have the power to fill casual vacancies in its number and co-opt extra members if required.
8. The Sports Convener of the Watsonian Club shall be an ex-officio member of the Committee entitled to attend and vote at general and committee meetings. A quorum at any General or Committee Meeting shall be eight members and four members respectively.
9. The duties of the Committee shall be to govern the affairs of the Club throughout the year and to nominate representatives or delegates to the Watsonian Club or other bodies.
10. The Captain shall preside at all meetings of the Club and Committee. When absent, the Vice-Captain shall preside, failing whom a Chairman shall be elected by the meeting. The Chairman shall have a casting vote in addition to a deliberative vote.
11. The Honorary Secretary shall keep a correct record of the proceedings at General, Extraordinary and Committee meetings of the Club, shall attend to all correspondence of the Club and take charge of and preserve all books, papers and records of the Club.
12. The Honorary Treasurer shall collect members’ subscriptions, keep an account of intromissions which shall be audited annually by an auditor, who may be a member, appointed by the Committee, and deal with all financial matters pertaining to the Club. He/she shall submit a detailed audited statement of the intromissions to 31st July in each year to the immediately following Annual General Meeting of the Club.
13. The subscription payable to the Club shall be such sum as may, from time to time, be determined at a General Meeting.
14. The financial year of the Club shall commence on 1st August on which date the subscriptions for the ensuing year shall be due and payable.
Annual General Meeting
15. The Annual General Meeting of the Club shall be held by the end of November of each year and shall be called by written notice at least 28 days prior to the date of the meeting. The General Meeting shall receive reports by Officials, appoint Officials and Members of Committee, receive minutes of previous Meeting(s), receive and approve Annual Accounts, and deal with Club regulations and transact any other competent business.
Extraordinary General Meeting
16. An Extraordinary General Meeting of the Club may be called at any time by the Committee, or at the request of at least twenty members on written notice given to the Honorary Secretary. At least 28 days written notice of the date of the meeting will be given to the members.
Constitution of the Club
17. The Constitution of the Club shall not be altered except at an Annual General Meeting or at an Extraordinary General Meeting, in either case the purpose being disclosed in the notice calling the Meeting. Such alterations shall be subject to approval of the Council of the Watsonian Club.
18. The Committee shall have power to make and amend regulations governing the conduct of members which shall be binding until the next Annual General Meeting, or at an Extraordinary General Meeting called for that purpose.
19. In the event of the dissolution of the Club, its assets will be made over and vested in the Watsonian Club.
20. This Constitution shall supersede earlier constitutions and shall take effect on the last to happen of (a) the acceptance in General Meetings (called for the purpose) of the Watsonian Swimming and Physical Training Section and of the Women’s Sports Section and (b) its approval by the Council of the Watsonian Club. The effective date for the operation of this constitution is deemed to be the date of the Annual General Meeting in November 2013.
Approved at Annual General Meeting, 19th November 2015.
Double click to insert body text here ...